Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Final Thoughts on Healthcare Reform

Now, after reading through my previous posts, you may be under the impression I am for a government-sponsored, socialized, healthcare plan.

That could not be further from the truth. Keep in mind that in every one of these scenarios - while it was a pain and expensive - we got the care we needed.

I wish that I could envision Universal Healthcare for Americans. But I can't. There are so many reasons why this is not possible, but the main one is that our government is incapable of running an efficient, fair and cost effective healthcare system for our country.

Have doubts? Well, take a look at Medicaid and Medicare. The abuse of those two systems will make your head implode. Our own government has given up on them and tried to privatize them. How'd that work out for us?? If the government is so incapable of running Medicaid and Medicare, why do I want them to take over my mediocre private healthcare?


Here is what I want:



I want employers around the country to stand up to the insurance companies. Yes, the employers. If several of the nation's largest employers such as Wal-Mart, Exxon-Mobil, GM, Ford, AT & T, Bank of America and UPS would join forces to REQUIRE the insurance companies to provide the services that these companies are paying for - it would be a revolution.


Here's the thing....if I go into any of these companies and had a documented issue with a product or service they provided, they would be obligated to resolve my issues. So - why do they put up with the insurance companies' substandard services which results in substandard care for their employees?

If these employers banded together, I believe the insurance companies would be shocked into action. The almighty dollar is a powerful thing and these employers demanding change would make an impact.

How do we get them to take action? The old fashioned way. If you are employed at one of these big companies, talk to your Corporate Human Resources Department. I did, and after griping over and over again about that prescription drug benefit, changes are coming for our plan in 2010. I'm just a mom, but I am a vocal mom who didn't let up and kept MAKING them listen to me. Squeaky wheel and all that....

If the government socialized our healthcare, my voice would be drowned out by the lobbyists. Just look at our prescription costs compared to other countries. Know why it is so much higher? Because lobbyists convinced our government we should "pay" for the research and development for the new drugs hitting the market.

Clean up Medicaid and Medicare and leave my privatized insurance alone. As imperfect as it is, at least I'm confident I can get care when it is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment